Germination is the first key step to a successful crop. Germination starts with a live seed and is complete when the first set of round leaves open and a small stalk is visible. Do not start seeds in paper towels! This is not good unless you have much experience. Many seeds are killed during transplant into soil. We will not guarantee 80% germination with this method.
Wash seeds, pots and anything that may contaminate seeds with 5% bleach solution or soap. This is to protect against root rot, the main reason for seed dying shortly after they crack open. Place seeds in sterilized water or distilled water at room temperature. Keep on top of the fridge or somewhere with a temperature between 80-90 degrees. Don’t worry whether they float or sink. Remove after 12 hours. Gently place 1/4 inch into prepared store bought soil in small pots or peat pots. Make sure the soil is pre-moistened with water before you put the seeds in. The soil should be moist, not dry and not too wet. The temperature during germination should be 80-90 degrees. Place the pots in a humidity tent or use plastic wrap to keep the humidity above 80%. Remove daily to keep the air fresh (REMOVE TENT AS SOON AS THEY GERMINATE)
It does not matter if you germinate in light or darkness but light will provide needed heat. As soon as the plants sprout place directly under fluorescence or 4 feet from your Metal Halide.
- Don’t “check” to see if the seeds are doing anything! Touching the soil and germinating seeds will surely kill them at this stage!
- Seeds can take 3-14 days to germinate. Sometimes longer! Don’t let the top layer of the soil dry during germination. Also seeds from the same Marijuana may germinate at different times! Wait at least 2-3 weeks. Many assume that no more seeds will germinate after a few days. Only to find them germinating in the garbage!
- Spray pots and seedlings with water only if the top start to dry. Don’t pour water because it will shift the soil and kill the seedling at a most tender stage!
- Only place 1 seed per pot. Or else you might have to kill one at a later stage.
- Germination will take much longer and the rate will decrease if the seeds are left to germinate at cool room temperatures (approx. 65-70 degrees) This happens more noticeably with tropical strains of Marijuana.
- Use distilled water. If you cant obtain it let your tap water sit for 24 hours to evaporate chlorine.
- Be patient, follow these tips, and you and your buds will soon start your fantastic journey!